Thursday, June 18, 2009

wireless forever!

Something that is near and dear to my heart (and many other people's, as I'm told) is my cell phone. Its brand and style are just one reason why I love my cell phone. The other, bigger, reason is all the freedom it affords me. Not only am I not wired down, as I would be with a land line, but I’m not even restricted to one specific (relatively small) geographic location, as I also would be with a land line. Cell phones allow us to do everything one can do with a land line, and then so much more. When was the last time you texted a friend from your cordless phone? Or live in two cities for four years and keep the same phone number all the way through? It is because of reasons like these that youth in Canada (and I would presume many other countries as well) are leading the migration away from landlines.


According to StatsCan, the number of Canadian households that have only a cell phone (and no land line) is eight percent. But when looking only at households comprised of 19 to 34 year-olds we see that over 34 percent have made that change. Obviously this trend will only grow from here. So why is it such a struggle with Canadian wireless providers to have better and cheaper plans? Why are we forced into three year contracts, a system access fee, and other rediculous charges if we want anything beyond a basic voice and text plan?


The times they are a changin'. Unfortunately our providers are not.




No comments:

Post a Comment