Thursday, June 4, 2009

why i even have a blog.

There is really only one reason why I have started up 'the dive'. But first, some story...

I made my Facebook account at the beginning of my first year of university, when the whole network seemed like a little oasis in the vastness of the internet: only university students could join, being validated by our super-important official university e-mail addresses. Over the years of my post-secondary schooling, while studying two of the most traditional degrees within the faculty of Arts & Science, the emerging world of web 2.0 fascinated me.

Four years later I had to get a Twitter account, because my boss asked me to. I had been resisting the Twitter phenomenon for one main reason: just because I'm into all this media stuff, it doesn't mean that I don't have some sort of life unattached from a computer. In fact that's the whole other side of my life- exploring the city and experiencing what Toronto has to offer the average 20-something year-old. Twitter just seemed like something that would suck away any remaining free time after Facebooking time had been accounted for. But now, I tweet.

And thus the digital circle of life just seems more complete with a blog. It's where the social activity of Facebook (the endless amount of events + post-event pictures pushed by promoters from the clubbing district, Church, and the hipster region) and the hyper-interactivity of Twitter can all meld together into the giant blogging extravaganza that is 'the dive'.

So, this is that. No promises made, and we'll see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment